At McAleer Law, we specialize in personal injury and wrongful death litigation. Unfortunately, mistakes made before you contact an attorney could hamper your ability to recover compensation. You can increase your chances of having a successful case and recovering damages with these 10 tips:
- Know your rights. It is important to understand the rights entitled to you by both the state and federal government. Use www.Georgia.gov to stay informed about Georgia’s legal system.
- Avoid dangerous situations. While we can’t dodge all accidents, activities that are deemed ultra hazardous are best avoided. Inherently dangerous activities categorize the participant as strictly liable and may remove his or her right to sue.
- Obey the rules of the road. Drive carefully, pay attention to your surroundings, and avoid negligent drivers to reduce your risk of injury while behind the wheel.
- Obtain proper coverage. Although most states require car owners to obtain insurance, many do not impose uninsured motorist coverage. Purchasing UM coverage will protect you in an accident with a driver who is uninsured or underinsured.
- Preserve the evidence. Take photographs of the scene of the accident, document all damage or injuries, and collect insurance information. Carrying a pen, notepad, and camera at all times will also prepare you in the event of an emergency.
- Contact the authorities. When an accident happens, a police report will be useful in stating the cause and consequences of the accident in a court of law. If injured, always seek medical attention as well to ensure all factors of an accident are considered when judgment is decided in a case.
- Carefully describe medical issues. When discussing your injury with a physician, explicitly describe the type of pain or symptoms you may be experiencing. Severe pain and certain symptoms may indicate further medical complications.
- Be honest. Answer questions from the authorities or your legal team honestly to avoid losing credibility and your case later in the courtroom.
- Beware of insurance adjusters. Do not speak with or sign any documents from insurance companies before consulting a legal professional. Insurance agents will often try to obtain information that may decrease or eliminate the value of your claim before a case is even filed.
And, last but certainly not least, always choose a knowledgeable attorney. Typically, your chances of a successful appeal are much greater if an experienced firm like McAleer Law represents you. We can advocate for your rights, and may even be able to help you obtain a favorable ruling on your case even before your court date, as long as the medical records in your claim support an on-the-record ruling prior.
About McAleer Law:
McAleer Law—Decatur, Georgia’s preeminent personal injury, worker’s compensation, and Social Security Disability firm—has been representing plaintiffs and injured workers for more than ten years. Specializing in lost wage, medical expense, pain/suffering, lost quality of life, and psychological injury cases, founder Charles McAleer guarantees his clients personal attention, diligence, and unparalleled service quality. For more information on Charles McAleer and the McAleer Law Firm visit www.McAleerLaw.com, “like” McAleer Law on Facebook, or follow @McAleerLawFirm on Twitter.